Saturday, January 1, 2011

More Cemeteries of Ohio

  When I'm on a roll.. why stop?  I've expanded the cemetery shoots.  It's a tour now, and it's nice to be studying the differences between them.
  Couple days ago, it was the Massillon Cemetery in Massillon, Ohio.

The property is small in comparison to the McKinnley Cemetery, but, it's in wonderful condition.
Talked a bit to the grounds keeper's daughter who told us they lived on site for 5 years.  Not the home is beyond compare, which is a shame because it's a Gothic Dream.



Drove around the property some getting an idea of what I wanted to capture, and swung around to the front area again, but this time came from a different access,  and saw something I did not expect...
What I didn't expect was her.  She's hanging onto the cross, and the cross reads "To they Cross, Simply I Cling".  What got me about this memorial, is about 10 years ago, I was shooting in cemeteries down in New Orleans, and I spent a great deal of time photographing this gal:
Same monument.   Same saying.  Now, my New Olreans gal is close to lifesize.  I had to climb up onto the monument to get this angle, and the gal from Ohio I stood right next to at ground level.  
The elements may have worn down the Ohio gal some, or perhaps its older.. but she seems more worn down than my New Orleans gal.  And I had been thinking about the NO Gal a lot lately.  How did she look after the floods?  Been thinking I need to get back down there and do another cemetery tour..  and then I stumble upon the Ohio gal!   Exciting find for this Massillon, Ohio cemetery!

Yesterday the sun was out, so I had to go outside.  I almost went to the same place again to do a reshoot, until I decided to get online and do a "Gothic Cemetery" search of Ohio.  I knew there are some in Cleveland, but didn't want to drive that far.  What I came upon was the Glendale Cemetery in Akron, Ohio.  About 20 min from the homestead, and off I went.

When I pulled into this property, it was obvious that this was a wealthy persons cemetery.  There were about a dozen serious Mausoleums right off the bat.  




I saw examples of decorations I had never seen before, as well as styles of mausoleums I have not seen before.  It was a very well kept cemetery.. even nicer than the Massillon Cememetery.. but this one was much bigger.  Probably half the size of the Canton Cemetery.


Some of the design work on the doors of the Mausoleums were much more ornate than any I have seen before.

I don't know who's going to answer the door once you use this knocker,  and I don't think I want to stick around to find out.

And with that my tour of Ohio Gothic Cemeteries is over for this winter.  Maybe next year I'll hit up the ones in Cleveland that everyone keeps telling me to go to.
If you know of a cemetery that has examples of Gothic monuments, contact me about the locations, and I'll hit them up while on the road.  

If you want to see more images from my cemetery tour, check out my Facebook Page, The Photo Vagabond.  I'll have everything up on TPV website in a week or so.  Just faster to put things up on Facebook.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment