Monday, January 18, 2010

2 Days till Highway Part 1.

Back in October, I packed up the apartment in Estes Park, and readied myself for the trip to Ohio.  There, I was going to be with family, build a website for my photography, and my folks' business.  I was going to get involved in the local art scenes, and hopefully get some vending gigs around the holidays to makes some desperately needed cash. 

A week before my departure day, I was headed out to town to get some things done.  Mingus was underfoot, as he always gets nervous when I start packing up things.  He wants to make sure he's not left behind!  I went to take a step out the door, and he bumps into the snow/ice windshield scraper that is propped up next to the door for easy access.  I see the scrapper falling as I am taking my first step out the door.  It hits the ground, and my foot plants itself on it, ankle rolls, and down I go.

As  I'm falling, I'm wondering if I'm going to hit my head on the cement.  I wonder if this is going to fuck up my back.  I'm wondering if Mingus knows what just happened.  Lastly, I wonder if this giant poof of a parka is going to cusion my fall.
I'm grounded, and in pain.  I got up, and limped on to the truck.
After a few hours of running errands and visiting friends, I get back to the house, and lay down.

It's when I attempt to get up, that things really suck.  The pain shot up my leg, and caught me in the eyes.  I fall back onto my ass on the bed.  I can't put any weight on it, and the next few days are spent keeping it wrapped, iced, and elevated.  I had a lot to do, but couldn't do any of it.  I wondered if I could drive this way.
Two days before my departure, I decided I was indeed finally good to drive, and finished up the packing business around the house and shop.
By the end of the day, my throat was scratchy.  "You have got to be kidding!"  I refuse to get sick!  Ah, I may refuse, but the body had no choice.  When I woke up the next day, it was clear that I was on the verge of sickness.  Little did I know...

They day of departure, I was sick as a dog.  My ass was a gieser, and there was absolutely NO WAY I could leave like this.  I couldn't go an hour or two with out the surprise ass attack.  I went to Safeway to try and buy some manufactured ass explosion remedy.  While browsing the selections, Old Faithful blew.  It was horrible.  I had to buy this stuff, but I had to get out of the store.  A speedy self check out and out the door I went.  Luckily there is always a towel in the truck.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe taught me to always have my towel.

The following day, I decided to leave.  I didn't have anything left to lose.  Sick as a dog, I left.  The trip was uneventful, other than feeling like a week old zombie.    I didn't eat for like 4 days, and made it safely to Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment