Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hey, hit the highway...

I spent a day cleaning and packing the element.  This haul was going to be nothing but driving.  The goal: Drive from Canton, Ohio to somewhere at least an hour into Arkansas.  About 13 hours of driving in one day.  Get a room.  Sleep, and then make 6-7 hour drive to Dallas.  As I did.  Nothing exciting...  no photos... just driving.
Got to Dallas just fine on day 2.  Met up with my friends Matteo and Allison at the American Airlines Center, and got to see none other than Eddie Izzard do 2.5hours of stand up, improv, and mime acting.  He's one of my all time favorites, and it was fantastic to see him live.  Worth the long ass drive! 
After the show, I was exhausted and fatigued.    I knew how to get right to the highway, but the event planners rerouted traffic, and I had no idea where I was going.
I had to follow the heard. 
I don't know how, but the force must have been with me.  Eventually, I just ran into the highway I needed to be on, and was headed south to Austin.
It was going to be a 2.5 hour drive.  I was punch drunk at this point.  I was starting to realize that I should not be on the highway.  My head should be parallel with a pillow, and my body in a horizontal position.  Didn't want to spend the money on a hotel room, but there was just no way to be safe on the road for the final 1.5 hour of my drive.

I got a very cheap ass hotel.  With Mingus, it was $28.  They don't come much cheaper than that! 
The next morning, I finished the haul feeling rested and awake.

An hour later, I was at Maria's Taco Xpress!  The taco I had been waiting for was in my hand.  And as a friend described, I waved my Victory Taco with much vigor.    I had breakfast with an old friend, Teri, who I used to work with.  She's all about the music.  Country music, and fine fine fine at it.  We caught up on things, and touched breifly on the wedding that we were attending that night.

Bridgette and Jesse's wedding.  What a great time that was.  Located at the Wizard Academy, the chapel was beautiful, the ceremony at sunset, and the attending Whole Earth family which was exceptional to reconnect with .

It was a simple ceremoney that laced the over the top pomp and cercumstance, which I appreciate so much. 

The reception was at Jesse's brother's house, and that was a good time!  Very special hanging with some of the folks I had not seen in 5 years or more.  Good stuff.  Pit fire, music, outside in warm weather...  wonderful!

 9 Days left in Austin. 
This morning, the plan is....  breakfast tacos.  Meeting up with friends for breakfast again.  Good times..

No comments:

Post a Comment